Serving Tampa Bay and Surrounding Areas
Backed by 15 years of experience as a state prosecutor, founding Attorney Timothy Hessinger has a deep understanding of the criminal justice system. Due to his former experience as a 15 year prosecutor, Attorney Hessinger understands that the ability to dismantle a prosecutor's case only comes from knowing how law enforcement officers and prosecutors build a criminal case.
His Pledge to His Clients
His dedication and passion to help clients move through difficult and complex matters is always apparent. In every case he handles, he pledges the following:
- To listen to the client and treat each client with respect.
- To promptly return all phone calls from clients.
- To ensure each client has a complete understanding of the criminal system.
- To ensure each client understands all the options that are available to him to resolve the case.
- To keep each client fully appraised of the progress of the case.
- To make every effort possible to achieve the best possible results for each client.
- To provide competent, aggressive, legal representation at a reasonable rate.
Contact The Law Office of Timothy Hessinger for your free consultation.
Experience and Background as an Assistant State Attorney
During his time as an Assistant State Attorney in Pinellas County, he was a member of an elite unit that prosecuted major crimes. It was in this position that he developed a reputation as an aggressive but fair prosecutor in the Special Prosecution section of the Major Crimes division. In that time, he handled thousands of cases and tried over 100 jury trials.
Before opening a law firm dedicated to criminal defense, Tim served the State of Florida as an Assistant State Attorney in Pinellas County for fifteen years. During that time, he developed a reputation as an aggressive but fair prosecutor in the Special Prosecution section of the Major Crimes division. He has handled thousands of cases and tried over 130 jury trials.
While at the State Attorney's Office Tim was assigned to handle all of the child murder cases over an eight-year period along with other high profile cases that garnered significant media attention. Now, Tim has a complete understanding of the manner in which the State Attorney's Office investigates, charges, and prosecutes criminal offenses. He knows how valuable it is to have early intervention by aggresive defense counsel in all criminal allegations and how important it is to have an attorney that is ready willing and able to challenge the state's case.
Sharing His Expertise in the Field of Criminal Law
His experiences and knowledge in the field of criminal law allow him to serve as an example and leader to others. In his time as an attorney, Attorney Hessinger has trained:
- Law enforcement officers
- Law students
- Other criminal law attorneys in criminal law
Types of Cases Attorney Hessinger Handles
Attorney Hessinger handles a wide range of cases, including those in the following areas of criminal defense practice:
- Homicide / Murder / Manslaughter / Shaken Baby
- Aggravated Battery / Felony Battery / Battery / Aggravated Assault / Assault
- Robbery / Burglary / Kidnapping / Arson / Criminal Mischief / Home Invasion
- DUI / Felony DUI / DUI Manslaughter / DWLSR
- Sex Crimes / Rape / Sexual Battery / Lewd and Lascivious
- Drug charges / Trafficking / Drug Houses / Drug Possession / Drug Sales / Cultivation & Manufacture
- Domestic Violence / Domestic Battery / Violation of Injunctions / Depriving use of 911 / Stalking
- Juvenile Offenses / Juvenile Diversion
- Pretrial Intervention / Domestic Violence Diversion
- Weapon Charges / 10-20-life / PRR / HFO / HFVO / Career Criminal Cases
- Child Abuse / Aggravated Child Abuse / Child Neglect
- Grand Theft / Petit Theft / Shoplifting / Scheme to Defraud
- White Collar Crimes / Fraud / Embezzlement / Insurance Fraud
- Internet Crimes
- Violations of Probation and Community control
- Bond Hearings / Reconsideration of Sentence Hearings
- Florida, 1990
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 2008
- Stetson University College of Law, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1990 J.D. Honors: Cum Laude
- Law Review: Stetson Law Review, Notes Editor, 1987 - 1990
- Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina, USA, 1987 B.A. Major: Political Science
- Adjunct Professor, Teaching Fellow, Stetson College of Law, 1999
- False Confessions & the Experts, F.P.A.A., 2002
- Child Abuse & Homicide, Stetson Univ. College of Law, 2002 - 2005
- Police Academy Instructor: Court Structure, Court Rules, Trial Procedure, Drugs & Controlled Substances, Privileged Communications & Kidnapping, St. Petersburg Junior College, 1996-1998, 2005
- Sexually Violent Predators, St Petersburg Bar Association, 2000
- Civil Commitment of the Sexually Violent Predator, F.P.A.A., 1998
- Child Abuse Standards in Discipline Cases, Sex Crimes Intelligence Group, 2000
Honors and Awards
- Member and Former President of the Pennela County Association Criminal Defense Lawyers
- AV Preeminent® Peer Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, 2016
- President, Pinellas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Client Distinction Award from Martindale.com and Lawyers.com, 2013
- Prosecutor of the Year, 2004
- Florida Sex Crimes Network, 1999 - 2005 Chairman/Member
- Pinellas County State Attorney's Office, 1990 - 2005 Member
- Special Prosecution unit, Major Crimes Division
- Lead Trial Attorney
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2006 - Present / Member
Past Employment Positions
- Pinellas County State Attorneys Office, Major Crimes Special Prosecution Unit, 1990 - 2005